Since I was not adoption-minded when I started fostering it wasn’t until I had my boys over a year (and decided to adopt them) that I learned so many wonderful benefits of adopting through foster care! Here are the fascinating facts about adopting through foster care in Texas.
- Adoption through foster care is FREE if your foster child meets ONE of these requirements (this qualifies them for Adoption Assistance which includes many of the items listed further down):
- 6 years of age or older
- 2 years of age or older and a member of a minority group
- Have a diagnosed handicapping condition
- Member of a sibling group or joining a sibling in adoption
- All legal expenses for the adoption are reimbursed. In fact, the state essentially paid ME to adopt! Read on….
- I “hired” an adoption lawyer to handle all of the legal paperwork, but the lawyer is essentially provided for me. I chose someone who directly bills the State so I paid absolutely nothing, no reimbursements needed.
- I get the honor of changing their names, if desired. Just like you chose the names of your kids, I got to do the same! I decided to slightly alter one of their first names, gave them new middle names, and of course their last name changed to mine.
- They are issued new birth certificates with their new names and only me listed as the parent. Talk about a whole new identity!!
- I will receive a monthly subsidy from the State of Texas until they each turn 18! The amount is approximately half of what I received for foster care.
- They receive FREE health insurance through Medicaid so I don’t need to add them to my health insurance unless I want it as supplemental.
- Because of Medicaid they receive free school lunch (depends upon your school district).
- They will receive college tuition reimbursement to any state college in Texas! I see future Longhorns in our midst! This also includes advanced degrees.
- The year in which the adoption is consummated you can file for an enormous adoption tax credit! Over $12,000 PER KID (it changes slightly each year)!
- OK, so I’m over 10 now but a perk I discovered after I wrote this the first time is a FREE YMCA of Williamson County membership! Plus half off the member price for any additional programs. I never knew swim lessons or joining a soccer team could be so cheap!
See? Look at ALL THE PERKS of adopting through foster care!! ☺️🙌👏🙏 No need to wait. No need to spend tens of thousands of dollars or even book a flight anywhere! There are so many kiddos right here right now. Please refer to DFPS Adoption Assistance website for more information about this program.
#thisisfostercare #fostercareawareness #nationalfostercaremonth #fosterlove #beafosterparent